Friday, February 11, 2011

Slow & Sane Wins The Race

Today the high is forecast to be 39 degrees.

And as I watched the sun rise this morning over the blindingly white landscape, a new hope washed over me with every gulp of coffee I chugged. It appears we will indeed survive. Our mental capacities will hold out. This little family has built a foundation of perseverance with copious amounts of snow and an occasional oatmeal cookie washed down with a Samuel Adams Boston Lager. The finish line is in sight, and our four-person relay team will conquer this grueling marathon with strength and full neurofunction.

And as my pulse quickened with excitement, and I began to hear the theme to Chariots of Fire faintly rise in tandem with the sun above the horizon, I found my oldest in the mud room, tying her own snow boots onto the dog's front paws and saying "You ready for this Maddie? Time to go hiking."

Perhaps we didn't make it, after all.

1 comment:

  1. Is there too much snow to take Maddie on a Muppet Run?

    ReplyDelete

Here is your chance to participate in constructive criticism of my work.

(Read: Your ticket to openly bash the previous stream of consciousness you just wasted time reading.)